Minutes March 2, 2011


Hillsdale Neighborhood Association
March 2, 2011  

MINUTES 

7:00 p.m. Opening & approval of agenda:  7 minutes; self-introductions

  • Approval of previous meeting minutes:  3 minutes (February 2011)

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 by Robert Hamilton.

  • It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda.  The motion passed unanimously.
  • It was moved and seconded to approve the minutes of the February HNA meeting.  The motion passed unanimously.

7:10 p.m.   HNA Committee Reports (2-5 minutes; verbal or written)

  • SWNI:  Don Baack.  There is a lot of reaction in SWNI organization as a result of the alleged situation of employee fraud.  It is encouraged that we review and react to the new rules for funding that SWNI is developing in response to the situation.  At the March 26 retreat, there will be an extended discussion regarding the financial regulations. Robert agreed to contact Sylvia related to review process and role of individual neighborhood associations in reviewing proposed changes in financial oversight procedures.
  • Schools Committee: Michael Reunert.  The facilities bond measure will be on the ballot in the May elections.  Both this measure and the local option for programs and teachers will be on the ballot.  April 17, 7:00 at the Multnomah Arts Center, there will be a pro/con forum on the measures.  Teacher contracts will expire and they are negotiating a new contract.  The Rieke community is fundraising – still seeking about $50,000.  A Rieke phone campaign to support the bond and local option will be taking place next week.  Rieke is seeking volunteers for many activities.  April 14th, there is a fundraiser for technology at Rieke.  There are many random volunteer opportunities available at Rieke.  Volunteers are acutely needed – please call the school.  Robert Gray’s principal will be leaving to be in charge of the Roosevelt/Cleveland school cluster.  An interim person will be hired until a new principal can be hired for the following year.   Wilson foundation is trying to raise $100,000.  The schools’ committee will meet with principals to vision how a schools’ forum might be convened to elaborate long term solutions for schools. 
  • Transportation Committee:  Glenn Bridger:  March 16:  Trails meeting about next priorities for neighborhood greenways and bike boulevards will take place.  March 6: Representatives about bicycle parking and other issues will be discussed at the Farmers’ Market.  (Multnomah Arts Center Room 29)
  • SW Trails: Don Baack
  • Land Use Notices & Issues:  Duane Hunting, Mikal Apenes.  Safeway remodel plans are progressing.
  • Parks:  Dan Jenkins.  Stormwater management for Hillsdale Dog Park is in progress.   Terwilliger Parkway Centennial planning meeting is March 10 Thursday between 6 and 8 at the South Waterfront Umpqua bank. 
  • Hillsdale Business & Professional Association:  Richard Garfinkle, Rick Seifert.  HBPA has had some busy meeting with new businesses.  However, things are still slow in the business area.  Some businesses are marginally hanging on.  Connectivity and “greening” the neighborhood are big priorities.  Also, the board has approved a landscape project – the aim is to expand existing tree wells and to extend planting in the tree well.  Also, there is a hope to connect these and the flower baskets to watering.  The plans will be presented for review to the public in two to three weeks, possibly.  Volunteers will be needed for planting.   There is also an effort to fix the lighting in Hillsdale to provide adequate light while eliminating extraneous light.  Also, a welcome arch or gateway arch design for Hillsdale is being considered.   
  • Hillsdale Alliance:  Glenn Bridger
  • Hillsdale Main Street : Jim Stutts  Some of the Main Street issues are in the HBPA report.  The five point approach of the Main Street process has been very successful.  Money has been raised, but more is needed.  It is important to realize that the process is incremental, but plans have been produced and will be realized.  Now, Main Street needs $45,000 by the end of June.  Salvador Molly April 12:  20% of what they take in will go to Main Street.  May 1, with the opening of the Farmers’ Market, there will be a Main Street event. 
  • Neighborhood Emergency Teams: John Morris

8:10 p.m.   Open Discussion of HNA Priorities for 2011

  • Background on upcoming presentation by Professor Reiko Hillyer, visiting professor of history at Lewis & Clark, “Marking our Territory: How to Read Local Landscapes.”  This lecture will occur May 11 at The Watershed. 

8:50 p.m.   New Business, Announcements

  • Portland plan meeting at Oregon Zoo March 6 12:30 to 3:00 –4001 SW Canyon Road.
  • Saturday, meet at Riek parking lot at 8:45 for Friends of the Trees to plant trees in Wilson Park.
  • Usual suspects will meet Saturday at Food Front. 
  • Tree code is being reviewed, with goal of reducing diameter of trees that can be cut without a permit.  We’d like to invite a City staff person to provide an overview.
  • April meeting at the Watershed, board meeting at 6:00.

9:00 p.m.  Adjourn:  It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.  The motion passed unanimously.

Future Action Items

  • Establish date for Oregon Humanities Conversation Project (“Local Landscapes”) 5/11
  • Consensus on whether to hold a “Future of Schools” Discussion Forum
  • Support the Schools Letter on Crossing Safety at Bertha and Vermont
  • Request Fred Meyer landscape work at former Hollywood Video location
  • Transportation Committee: Further discussion on role of property owner assessments related to sidewalk construction.
  • New Tree Code: Invite City staff to provide overview?
  • PLEASE NOTE: APRIL meeting will be at The Watershed, and will include a board meeting at 6pm

Comments are closed.