Minutes from April 2, 2014


Hillsdale Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, April 2, 20147:00 p.m.

St. Barnabas Church

 

MOTION 2014 – 3-5-1: Don Baack moved that HNA send a letter to Commissioner Steve Novick and copy other City Commissioners and PBOT Director Leah Treat requesting funding this fiscal year for a Safe Route to School trail connection between Stephens Creek Crossing, the new $52 million housing project, and Robert Gray Middle School. The requested funds will be to build a bridge across Fanno Creek and associated stairs extending along SW 25th Avenue from SW Bertha Boulevard to SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, and build a new sidewalk along SW 25th Avenue from SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway to SW Kanan Street. All in favor. Wes Risher will draft the letter.

 

7:01 p.m. Agenda and Minutes. The meeting was called to order by President Mikal Apenes. Self-introductions were made. One addition to the agenda: Portland Police Officer Scott Foster. Motion to approve agenda, seconded, all in favor. Motion to approve the March minutes, seconded, all in favor.

 

7:06 p.m. Metro Councilor Bob Stacey, Metro Council District 6. Councilor Stacey distributed several handouts, including Metro’s quarterly newsletter with information on recreational opportunities, parks, natural areas, transportation, land use issues, and how citizens can participate in the planning process. Current projects include securing a hotel near the Oregon Convention Center, raising funds for restoration of natural areas, the Climate Smart Communities project to reduce greenhouse gas emission reductions, studying Southwest Corridor high-capacity transit options, ensuring ongoing success of the Portland Expo Center, and planning and implementing improvements at the Oregon Zoo. The Regional Transportation Plan (RTP), due to be reviewed this year, addresses transit, and bike/pedestrian access to ensure they connect to one another. One of Metro’s goals is to assist implementation of plans for transit-oriented development. Metro is working on plans to provide streetscape grants, and to link businesses with private sector lending. Metro seeks public input about priorities between March 21 and May 5, at community forums or on the Metro website. Metro is funded by activity fees, zoo admission, waste disposal fees, excise taxes, as well as bond measures for capital expenditures.

 

7:35 p.m. Portland Police Bureau Report, Officer Scott Foster. The recent officer-involved shooting in Hillsdale is under investigation. PPB has increased patrols near schools. Recently Police have received calls about high-pressure door-to-door salespeople linked to residential burglaries.

 

7:45 p.m. Terry Black, Jamie Wilde, and Dan Ward of the Portland Water Bureau presented information on two projects scheduled for our area.

SW Carolina Pump Mains This installation of 3400 feet of new pipe will take eight or nine months, breaking ground about July 1. Neighbors should plan on detours, flaggers, and lane restrictions affecting Chestnut Street, Burlingame Avenue, Burlingame Terrace, Terwilliger Boulevard, Capitol Highway, and a section of the pedestrian path in George Himes Park, as well as equipment noise, dust, and loss of street parking during construction. Discussion points:

  • April through July, Barbur Boulevard will be reduced to one lane each way for bridge construction, so PBW should work with ODOT to reduce the impact on neighborhood streets as car traffic seeks alternative routes.
  • In the past, neighbors were told that PWB is responsible for installing and maintaining landscaping on the island at the intersection of Terwilliger Boulevard and Capitol Highway. Those in attendance expressed disappointment to hear that this is not part of the plan now.
  • Don Baack encouraged PWB to maintain safe pedestrian access through the construction zone that does not involve significant detours.
  • Previously the City assured HNA that the intersection at Chestnut and Burlingame Avenue would be brought up to standards with this project. Terry said this is not in the current plan, and will speak to her boss about it.

Bertha Service Area Improvements Project This installation of 2600 feet of pipe will take four to six months beginning in May or June. It will increase the capacity and reliability of water service and repair leaking pipes to reduce the risk of landslide in the area of SW 14th Avenue and SW Westwood Drive, down to SW Martha Street, across Martha Street, and up SW 18th Drive until just past the intersection with SW 18th Place. Discussion points:

  • Asphalt restoration is a concern. Existing berms that divert water away from home and driveways, access to stairs, and grade alignment to walkways, will need careful consideration.
  • A major pedestrian trail through this area will be affected. Presenters said the contractors will make this work for pedestrians.
  • Neighbors expressed concern about storm water runoff on 18th Drive. PWB will work with PBOT and PBES to possibly fix this during construction. Jamie said he hopes to visit the site during the next rain event.
  • BES trucks have been seen on 18th Drive recently, so there may be a sewer project here, too. Jamie will contact BES to possibly coordinate projects.

For both projects, water service may be affected for several hours at a time, and neighbors will be notified of this in advance. PWB said they will work with individual neighbors to avoid service disruption at particular times. Information is available at www.portlandoregon.gov/water/swcarolina, www.portlandoregon.gov/water/berthaarea, and portlandmaps.com (click on ‘projects’). PWB contact is Terry Black, 503-823-1168 or terry.black@portlandoregon.gov.

 

8:20 p.m. Pedestrian Safety, Mike Ashland presented. Mike’s op-ed piece on pedestrian safety was published in the Oregonian on February 26, 2014. Problems include lack of sidewalks, cars parked along narrow streets, lack of shoulders, mud, and potholes. To improve pedestrian safety he suggests:

  • The City work with neighbors who wish to make pedestrian improvements at the same time City projects are done.
  • HNA support law enforcement ticketing distracted drivers and pedestrians.
  • Neighbors organize themselves block-by-block to improve their streets.
  • HNA spearhead a campaign for pedestrian safety.

 

8:30 p.m. Committee Reports.

Transportation Glenn Bridger presented. Glenn urged neighbors to use extra caution during the multiple construction projects happening in our area and to expect flaggers, construction workers, increased traffic, detours, and lane restrictions. On April 29 at 6:00 p.m. at the Multnomah Arts Center, SWNI will host a meeting on SW High Capacity Transit.

SWNI Glenn Bridger presented. SWNI is re-writing its bylaws. Nominations for new SWNI Board members are being sought. A City budget forum will be held April 9, 6:30 p.m. at PCC Sylvania.

Hillsdale Alliance Glenn Bridger presented. Next meeting is to be announced.

Hillsdale Main Street Rick Garfinkle presented. The PDC did not recommend further funding for HMS. Current and recently completed projects include new and refurbished signage, recycling bins, and Spring Fest Health Fair. HMS hopes to form a non-profit foundation to move forward with more improvement projects.

Hillsdale Business & Professional Association Richard Garfinkle presented. HBPA meets every third Wednesday at Korkage. Projects in the works include the Pancake Breakfast and Book Sale in July, flower baskets, and trash collection.

SW Trails Don Baack presented. The new trail at Stephens Creek Natural area officially opened on March 12. The next walk is Saturday, April 12. The next Committee meeting is April 22. MOTION: Don Baack moved that HNA send a letter to Commissioner Novick and copy other City Commissioners and PBOT Director Leah Treat requesting funding this fiscal year for a Safe Route to School trail connection between Stephens Creek Crossing, the new $52 million housing project and Robert Gray Middle School. The requested funds will be to build a bridge across Fanno Creek and associated stairs extending along SW 25th Avenue from SW Bertha Boulevard to SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, and build a new sidewalk along SW 25th Avenue from SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway to SW Kanan Street. Glenn Bridger seconded. Discussion: HNA has voted to support a trail here in the past. The question was called. All in favor. Wes Risher will draft the letter.

Parks Don Baack presented. According to City Commissioner Amanda Fritz, $1.5 million will go to improvements for Spring Garden Park, some funding may be available for the Red Electric Trail, and Custer Park may be re-named. A Master Plan will be done next year for one park, possibly DeWitt Park here in Hillsdale.

Land Use Notices and Issues Duane Hunting presented. HNA received one notification, an environmental violation on Parkhill Way. The owner built a terrace and planted in a conservation zone. HNA can make comments through April 7. On Tuesday April 8 at 2:45 p.m. the SW Corridor Plan will be presented to the Portland Planning Commission. A SW Watershed Open House will be held on Wednesday April 23 at 5:30 p.m. at the Multnomah Arts Center. On April 24 is Our Streets Town Hall. A meeting on the SW Corridor Plan will be held on April 29th.

 

9:02 p.m. Announcements. Dedication of the Oregon World War II Memorial in Salem is June 6 at 1:30 p.m. Next meeting: Wednesday, May 7, 7:00 p.m. at the Watershed.

 

9:07p.m. Adjourn.

Motion to adjourn. Seconded. All in favor.

 

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: