Minutes from June 4, 2014


 

Hillsdale Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, June 4, 20147:00 p.m.

St. Barnabas

 

MOTION 2014- 6-4-1: Don Baack moved to nominate the current HNA Board members, Duane Hunting, Don Baack, Sheila Fink, Caroline Raz, and Rick Meigs, for re-election as board members in their current capacities. Seconded. All in favor.

MOTION 2014 6-4-2: Don Baack moved that HNA send Wes Risher’s letter about illegal tree removal to ODOT and the City of Portland. Seconded. All in favor.

7:05 p.m. Agenda and Minutes. President Mikal Apenes opened the meeting. Motion to approve minutes, seconded, all in favor. Motion to approve agenda with the addition of Paul Jennings from Portland Fire & Rescue, seconded, all in favor.

7:08 p.m. Operation Lower the Boom, Paul Jennings of Portland Fire & Rescue presented. PF&R is coordinating a community education campaign to promote fireworks safety and to encourage people to attend licensed professional fireworks displays rather than use fireworks in neighborhoods. While fireworks are enjoyed by many, they can be troubling for seniors, veterans, refugees, and pets. Citations will be issued for use of illegal fireworks. Paul reminded attendees that even legal fireworks can cause serious injuries, property damage, and fires. PF&R is partnering with the Hillsdale Neighborhood Emergency Team, Dove Lewis, schools, and churches to canvass neighborhoods with educational flyers. A kickoff event for volunteers is on June 16 at Fire Station 2. The campaign launch is on June 23 at Station 1, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. More information is at www.portlandoregon.gov/fire/fireworks. To volunteer, contact Paul at paul.jennings@portlandoregon.gov.

7:25 p.m. Bureau of Environmental Services: Storm Water Retention Project along Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, Jennifer Devlin and Lisa Huntington presented. The Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway Water Quality Improvement Project is part of the Fanno Creek Watershed Plan, and seeks to reduce pollutants running into storm drains. BES will work with Portland Bureau of Transportation to ensure that the improvements work with pedestrian, bicycle, and automobile traffic. BES has studied the variable rights of way, existing drainage patterns, existing utility lines, topography, existing driveways, sidewalks, and trees, and unused automobile lanes. As a result, BES is proposing 87 storm filters in the form of underground vaults with cartridges that require replacement once or twice per year, and 17 vegetative facilities. Attendees pointed out that similar filters in Seattle require replacement much more often than anticipated, and requested that BES provide its analysis of costs. BES was urged to include maintenance of the drains in its budget. BES will work with TriMet to make sure buses at stops do not interfere with traffic. The need for sidewalks along B-H Highway was discussed. While sidewalks are not part of this project, planners will avoid doing anything that precludes sidewalks in the future. HNA members pointed out that drainage problems along Barbur Boulevard pose serious safety hazards and should be a priority. Jennifer promised to look into this. BES will return to HNA as the project progresses.

7:59 p.m. Southwest Corridor Plan, Metro, Matt Bihn presented. Metro is looking at bus rapid transit (BRT) and light rail transit (LRT) options between Portland and Tualatin via Tigard. On June 9 the Steering Committee will meet and decide what will go into the draft Environmental Impact Statement. Public comments will be taken. With the EIS, more resources will be available to study travel times, etc. The City of Portland is interested in a project that follows Naito Parkway and the pedestrian projects it would involve there. One BRT option involves elevators between Barbur and OHSU. It was questioned whether elevators would adequately serve the elderly and disabled population needing public transit for medical appointments at OHSU. Other BRT options involve auto lane reconfiguration and removal, more pedestrian crossings, fewer turns into businesses, and a cut and cover tunnel to Hillsdale. LRT options run adjacent to I-5 and would not include bicycle or pedestrian improvements. LRT has three tunnel options connecting OHSU, Hillsdale, Multnomah, and/or the BarburTransitCenter. The long tunnel option is expensive and does not align with the Barbur Concept Plan or significantly reduce travel time, so Metro will recommend moving forward with the shorter tunnel options. Development of the Southwest transit corridor is likely to lead to growth of the OHSU South Waterfront campus. Metro’s website, http://www.oregonmetro.gov/public-projects/southwest-corridor-plan, always takes public comments.

8:38 p.m. HNA Board Elections. Duane Hunting, Don Baack, Sheila Fink, Caroline Raz, and Rick Meigs are up for re-election. MOTION: Don moved to cast a unanimous ballot for the current slate of HNA Board members: Duane Hunting, Don Baack, Sheila Fink, Caroline Raz, and Rick Meigs. Seconded. All in favor.

8:41 p.m. Steve Duin’s Opinion Column in Today’s Oregonian. A general discussion was had regarding Steve Duin’s opinion column.

8:40 p.m. Committee Reports.

Transportation: Glenn Bridger asked people to drive extra safely due to the many construction projects underway in the area.

SWNI: Glenn Bridger introduced Sam Pearson, the new Chair of SWNI. Sam was welcomed with a round of applause. Arnie Panitch noted that three SWNI Volunteers of the Year are from Hillsdale: John Morris, Michael Reunert, Lynn Rossing.

Schools: Michael Reunert presented. The PPS student population is growing after many years of decline. Rieke Elementary is in the process of finding a new Principal. A work party was held at Wilson, and plantings will be done in the fall.

SW Trails: Don Baack presented. On Tuesday the group built a new and safer trail at Burlingame Park, in an area where many people have fallen over the years.

Parks: Don Baack presented. HNA should decide which projects to include in the new Parks Replacement Bond. The Rieke soccer field and a master plan for Dewitt Park are possibilities. Don has not received the details of financing the new field at Wilson High School promised by Randy Miller at the May meeting.

Land Use Notices and Issues: Duane Hunting emailed his report. The Mixed Use Zones Project’s Policy Advisory Committee continues its series of neighborhood walkabouts. The speed bumps on Vermont Street will be reinstalled soon. Cars are continuing to park in the new uphill bike lane along Vermont Street, and signage will be installed soon.

8:40 p.m. Illegal Tree Removal. In October Wes Risher noticed that a street tree installed as part of the ODOT planting plan on Barbur Boulevard just south of Terwilliger and in front of the Verizon store, had been removed. He took photos at the time and has drafted a letter requesting enforcement action. MOTION: Don Baack moved that HNA send Wes Risher’s letter about the illegal tree removal to ODOT and the City of Portland. Seconded. All in favor.

9:02 p.m. Adjourn.

Motion to adjourn. Seconded. All in favor.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: