Minutes from January 7, 2015


Hillsdale Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 7:00 p.m.

St. Barnabas Church

MOTION 2014-1-6-15-1: Sheila Greenlaw-Fink moved that Glenn as Transportation Chairman be authorized to submit comments to PBOT as reflected by HNA’s previous priority list. Seconded. All in favor.

6:30 p.m. Board Meeting. The February HNA meeting will be devoted to a presentation from Metro about the High Capacity Transit Corridor plan, and what Hillsdale might look like in various transit scenarios. The meeting will be held at the Watershed on Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 7:00p.m. Don Baack and Robert Hamilton will seek donations of food for meeting attendees. Sheila Greenlaw-Fink suggested that each board member invite five neighbors to this meeting, as it is important to have as many people there as possible to learn about changes which will undoubtedly affect many residents and businesses. Various board members volunteered to contact area newspapers and organizations, and use social media to publicize this meeting. Board members volunteered ideas for what they would like to see in the transportation plan, including service to OHSU and PCC, one or two stops in Hillsdale, placement between and parallel to Barbur and I-5 with pedestrian connectivity, and an electrified system.

7:05 p.m. Agenda and Minutes. President Mikal Apenes opened the meeting by wishing all a happy new year. Introductions were made. Motion to approve minutes for the December meeting. Seconded. All in favor. Motion to approve agenda. Seconded. All in favor.

7:10 p.m. Committee Reports.

Schools Michael Reunert presented. The Portland Public Schools district is looking to make changes to the student transfer policy, and welcomes public input on this issue. Michael is on the committee looking at PPS school boundaries to create a policy that includes public input, rather than short-term fixes. PPS plans to do a survey in the next few months to look at where it can make improvements. There is concern that many Oregon students will not pass the Smarter Balanced Assessments that are part of the Common Core curriculum. The SWNI School Committee is working on a local forum to talk about technology in schools, an area in which Portland schools are deficient. Technology was recently added at Wilson, but was paid for through donations from the community, not by PPS.

 

7:30 p.m. Portland Police Officer Scott Foster. (Committee Reports deferred to allow Officer Foster to report.) The Portland Police received 199 calls from the Hillsdale neighborhood in December. 86 of these were traffic stops. In addition, there were two burglaries and numerous car prowls. Wes Risher said that on Terwilliger, a commuter route to OHSU hospital, cars speed, drive in the bike lane, do not stop at cross walks, and drift in and out of lanes. Officer Foster said this is an enforcement issue, and that anyone seeing dangerous drivers should contact the Portland Police Traffic Division. Officer Foster reminded neighbors to lock their cars, and leave nothing in them, not even coins or phone chargers.

7:45 p.m. Committee Reports, continued.

Hillsdale Business & Professional Association No report.

Transportation Glenn Bridger reported. There are three high-level planning activities happening. 1. The City just closed its special comprehensive plan map application on the web where people could comment on proposed infrastructure developments. The sidewalk on Terwilliger between Capitol Highway and Sunset was not included there. 2. Portland Bureau of Transportation is updating its transportation systems plan, and HNA should get its priorities on their radar. HNA may want to write a letter. MOTION: Sheila Greenlaw-Fink moved that Glenn as Transportation Chairman be authorized to submit comments to PBOT as reflected by HNA’s previous priority list. Seconded. All in favor. 3. The primary focus of HNA’s February meeting will be the Southwest Corridor Plan, high capacity transit, and what it might entail. Metro will present ideas, and we should have ideas to share with them at that time. This is an important meeting and everyone should spread the word to ensure a good attendance. The street fee will draw its projects from the Transportation System Plan. Any projects, to get funding must be on the TSP. Robert Hamilton encouraged those present to call a few people who do not normally attend HNA meetings and invite them to the February meeting. Don Baack suggested the creation of a simple map of the HCT route through Hillsdale, to help people understand the differences between busses or light rail going through Hillsdale, and not having this, and the economic and property value consequences, as well as the importance of connecting Hillsdale to OHSU and PCC. If Hillsdale is bypassed, there will be economic consequences. Rick Seifert would like to feature this map in the Hillsdale News. Glenn will create an elevator speech about this issue. Robert will contact the HBPA. 4. The City is putting together a trails process for PBOT. SW Trails and the SWNI Transportation Committee are submitting comments and changes. The City’s draft gives property owners adjacent to a right of way a strong voice and does not require the removal of encroachments such as fences or other barriers, and this needs addressing. There is a sense that the City has neglected its investment in the public right of way.

SWNI Glenn Bridger reported. 1. SWNI has created a template for new bylaws for neighborhood associations. HNA will need to conform its bylaws within about one year. A training session will be hele on January 31, 9:00am – 12 noon at the Multnomah Arts Center. The changes are required for insurance reasons, and they shift the model from member votes to board votes that take members’ opinions into account. 2. ONI is hosting a city-wide meeting on Saturday, February 28, 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at the Ambridge Events Center, 1333 NE MLK Jr. Blvd. 3. Small grants applications are due on January 16, 2015.

Hillsdale Alliance Glenn Bridger presented. On January 21, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. at the Watershed, the Hillsdale Alliance will hold its quarterly meeting and the topic will be urban wildfire in Hillsdale. The entire eastern border of Hillsdale is forested, and winds often come from the east, so the danger of wildfire is real, and we need to have a community discussion about it. Glenn hopes to work on this issue with the Hillsdale Neighborhood Emergency Team, Portland Bureau of Emergency Management, Portland Fire and Rescue, and Urban Forestry.

Land Use Duane Hunting presented, and submitted a written report via email. 1. There will be a hearing on Wednesday January 28, 9:00 a.m., 1900 SW 4th Avenue, Suite 3000, regarding the vacant property at SW 25th Avenue and SW Nevada Street, and 6810 SW 26th Avenue. The Bureau of Development Services’s recommendations for the applicants are coming out on January 18th regarding environmental issues, storm water, roads, pedestrian connectivity, and more. The hearings officers will hear these recommendations, and public input will be accepted. 2. There have been two administrative approvals. One is in favor of the proposed adjustment at 7710 SW Barbur Boulevard, Norm’s Garden. The other approves stepped retaining walls to protect a vault for underground power lines at 3125 SW Fairmount Boulevard. 3. HNA has received no new information regarding the triangle property or the Golden Touch Restaurant property. 4. The Mixed Use Zone Project is moving forward with its goal to reduce the current seven to nine commercial zones to three or four mixed-use zones. It hopes to make the zoning code easier for developers and property owners to understand, and to align the multiple goals for mixed-use development including pedestrian, work, and residential interests.

SW Trails Don Baack presented. The Committee is drafting a re-write of the City’s draft trails policy. In the near future Don will ask for letters of support from SW Portland citizens. The group has secured $10,000 for the Red Electric crossing, and the City is now saying that permits will be required.

Parks Don Baack and Wes Risher presented. There is a meeting tonight to talk about priorities for Portland Parks. There is funding in place for Rieke field itself, but not for lights, bathroom, etc. Wes is working on enforcing the stewardship agreement HNA has with Parks at SW 27th Avenue, and ivy removal is taking place with the help of an ACS crew. Janelle St. Pierre is working to hold the Portland Bureau of Environmental Services to its agreement to re-plant where they have done work. The swale at SW 7th Avenue and Caldew was planted today. Don will call a committee meeting in the next few days to put together a concert in the Rieke bowl as a benefit for the three neighborhood schools.

8:40 p.m. Announcements and Discussion.

Arnie Panitch reported on TriMet news. He is working on the Committee for Accessible Transportation. The TriMet Board passed a resolution that will make transfers good for an additional half-hour, to 2.5 hours, effective March 1, 2015. The Bridge Pedal in August 9 will include the Tillikum Bridge, including a time especially for disabled participants from noon until 1:30 p.m. that day. On September 12, the Tillikum Bridge will open, and the MAX orange line will run to Milwaukie.Robert Hamilton contacted the City regarding the lights at the Wilson running track, and they are on 5:00 a.m. until 7:00 a.m. now. The lights by the pool are working part of the time.

8:47 p.m. Adjourn. Next meeting will be on February 4, 2015, 7:00p.m. at the Watershed. Motion to adjourn. Seconded. All in favor.

 

Comments are closed.