Minutes from May 6, 2015


Hillsdale Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:00 p.m.

The Watershed

 

MOTION 2015 – 5-6-1: Glenn Bridger moved that HNA select Duane Hunting as Volunteer of the Year. Seconded. All in favor.

 

7:00 p.m. Opening and Approval of Minutes and Agenda. President Mikal Apenes opened the meeting. Introductions were made. Motion to approve April minutes, all in favor. Additions to the agenda were offered by Rick Miegs. Motion to approve the revised agenda, all in favor.

 

7:04 p.m. Free Medical Clinic. Rick Miegs presented. A free medical clinic for uninsured and under-insured patients will be held at Wilson High School on Saturday, May 16, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

 

7:10 p.m. President’s Report. Mikal Apenes reported. Following up on last month’s motion to have HNA inquire about speed readers, Mikal spoke with Portland Bureau of Transportation. PBOT has discontinued the program due to costs. Mikal reported that HNA’s tax return is ready to file.

 

7:12 p.m. Treasurer’s Report. Don Baack reported that HNA has $546.00 in its account.

 

7:19 p.m. Reports.

Schools Don Baack reported. A work party was held on Saturday May 3rd to carry out work on school grounds. The Hillsdale Solar Coalition has signed up 66 people to learn about purchasing residential solar systems.

Hillsdale Business and Professional Association No report.

Transportation Glenn Bridger reported. Tomorrow May 7 at 6:00 p.m. is the second Tryon-Stephens Headwaters Neighborhood Street Plan Open House at the Stephens Creek Crossing Community Center. Topics will include streets and storm water issues. The next SW Corridor Project community forum will be Tuesday, May 12 at 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. at Wilson High School. All are invited to learn more about surface and tunnel alignment options, the impacts of tunnel construction, future road, bike, pedestrian, and local transit improvements, and more. Arnie Panitch reported that the Milwaukie MAX light rail line begins service on September 12. People are invited to a preview event on August 9, in conjunction with the Portland Bridge Pedal. The new bridge will be open to bikes from 6:00 a.m. until noon, from noon until 1:30 p.m. for the elderly and those with disabilities, and from 1:30 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. for anyone. TriMet is proposing raising Honored Citizen fares from $1.00 to $1.25. TriMet has a discount fare for high school students.

SWNI Glenn Bridger presented. The semi-annual neighborhood clean-up was held Saturday. SWNI is looking for officers and committee members. SWNI is currently carrying out the annual process of updating its bylaws. The Equity and Inclusion Action Team is looking for ways to expand SWNI and neighborhood involvement and increase diversity to be more reflective of the population.

Land Use Duane Hunting reported. No land use notices were received in April. The City issued its draft policy on proposed language for notification on surplus City-owned real property, with comments due May 22, 2015. For more information see the website: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/oni/67333. Starting May 1, 2015, the Bureau of Development Services (BDS) has an online customer inspection notification system. For more information see http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/58538. It was suggested that the City look at guidelines developed by Multnomah County regarding citizen notification. No liquor license applications were received in April. The OLCC has a 15-member advisory committee for implementing the new recreational marijuana law, website is http://www.oregon.gov/olcc/marijuana/pages/default.aspx. BDS is holding a lunch and learn event on Residential Demolitions and Major Residential Alterations/Additions on Friday May 8, 12:00pm – 1:00 p.m. at 1900 SW 4th Avenue, 2nd floor. The City Tree Code Oversight Advisory Committee is reviewing proposed changes with final guidelines due in early 2016. The Tryon-Stephens Headwaters Neighborhood Street Plan is holding its second open house Thursday, May 7 at 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. at 6715 SW 26th Avenue. The Oregon Senator/Representative Open House is May 9, 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. at 7688 SW Capitol Highway. The next Mixed Use Zone Policy Advisory Committee meeting is May 20, 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at 2900 SW 4th Avenue, 2nd floor, see www.portlandoregon.gov.bps/mixeduse.

Hillsdale Alliance Sheila Greenlaw-Fink reported. The next meeting is at the Watershed on May 20, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Representatives of Hillsdale organizations are invited to attend and provide updates on their group’s activities.

SW Trails Don Baack Reported. Comments on the Transportation System Plan are now closed and the proposed revisions will go to City Council. There is a work party tomorrow 9:00 a.m. until noon, at Marquam Park – see www.swtrails.org for more information. A 4T Trail walk will be held Sunday May 22 in conjunction with the American Trails convention. For the Safe Route to School from Bertha to Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, Portland Bureau of Transportation is now requiring a 30-foot bridge, so the project may not happen this year. The 2015 International Trails Symposium will be held here May 17-20. See the website for info: http://www.americantrails.org/ee/index.php/symposium/2015.

Parks Don Baack reported. The group is interested in accessibility and other improvements at Dewitt Park. The SW Trails work party will work on improvements to a switchback at George Himes Park on the first Thursday in June at 9:00 a.m.

 

7:52 p.m. Portland Police Report. Officer Foster presented. The department received 228 calls in the last 30 days, a high number. Most are traffic calls. There were 25 calls at Wilson, one burglary, several auto thefts, two of which were at Fred Meyers. People continue to park in the bike lane on Vermont Street and police recently provided enforcement services for one car. Don Baack reported that speeding cars around the high school are a problem.

 

7:43 p.m. Board Nominations. Robert Hamilton presented. Sheila and Robert are recruiting for HNA board positions, and elections will be held in June. Board members are asked to attend one meeting per month.

 

7:54 By-laws Revisions. Robert Hamilton presented. ONI is requiring neighborhood associations to change their by-laws so that only board members can vote and make decisions. The Committee is looking at what the required changes will mean, and welcomes ideas about ways to encourage community participation in light of the upcoming changes.

 

8:13 p.m. Volunteer of the Year Nomination. Robert Hamilton presented. Several neighborhood volunteers were considered for this recognition. The committee hereby nominates Duane Hunting, for his thoughtful attention to issues, technical guidance, and willingness to volunteer when needed. MOTION: Glenn Bridger moved that HNA select Duane Hunting as Volunteer of the Year. Seconded. All in favor. Duane was given a round of applause for his ongoing work in the community.

 

8:20 p.m. Speeding and Traffic Calming Strategies. Mikal Apenes presented. Speeding automobiles are an issue throughout southwest Portland, not just on the main thoroughfares. One example is Terwilliger between OHSU and Barbur where cars routinely far exceed the speed limit, and there appears to be little enforcement. Frequently, cars do not respect pedestrians and bicycles. HNA may want to work on this with nearby neighborhoods. A group called Oregon Walks works on traffic enforcement and awareness. This issue may be something to look at in terms of the Southwest Corridor plan. Wes Risher offered to coordinate a meeting with HNA, the Homestead Neighborhood Association, Oregon Walks, and the Portland Bureau of Transportation, possibly in July. Another issue raised was the area of Vermont Street and Capitol Highway, where traffic is routinely backed up ever since the new traffic signal was installed. Glenn Bridger volunteered the HNA Transportation Committee to look in to this. Rick Seifert asked that people send him photos of traffic problems for use in the Hillsdale News.

 

8:30 p.m. High Capacity Transit Corridor – Continuing Discussion. In July the Metro Southwest Corridor Steering Committee will decide which route(s) will be studied for the Draft Environmental Impact Statement. Any routes not submitted for the DEIS will cease to be options. Metro does not have answers to many big questions. In the Barbur alignment option, or with the tunnel options, where would the stations be? Where would the tunnels surface? Where would transit centers be? Would the two Barbur bridges be rebuilt? Metro wants to limit the number of options it studies for the DEIS to save costs. However some neighbors feel that it would be better to spend the money now and to ensure a better outcome in the future. The final decision for the route will be made in 2016, but the decision point for Hillsdale is sooner. Discussion included the following points:

  • The DEIS will be a comprehensive document with a high level of design.
  • There will always be people who prefer one alignment or the other; the main consideration is community values.
  • Technology of the future, such as driverless cars, etc., cannot be predicted and will not be considered per federal funding requirements.
  • The Metro Steering Committee should honor the work that has gone into the Hillsdale Town Center Plan.
  • The transit alignment should respect the work HNA has done to accept density and respect the Urban Growth Boundary.
  • What is the best way for HNA to express its concerns to Metro?
  • How should the Hillsdale Town Center be served by transit?
  • Transit must serve OHSU and the VA, two of the area’s largest employers.
  • Emergency planning must be a part of the SW corridor transit plan.
  • Town Center business owners have varied opinions about which alignment is better.

 

9:02 p.m. Announcements and Adjourn. Arnie Panitch said that shopping carts have been collecting at Turning Point and he has talked to them about this eyesore. There are fines for people to steal shopping carts. Neighbors may call an organization that picks up carts within 72 hours and returns them to the store: call 888-55CARTS and provide them with an exact address. Sheila Greenlaw-Fink announced that the Watershed will host a National Night Out event with a live big band on July 31, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. She also announced an Older Adult Health Fair open to the public to be held at the Watershed on May 15. Robert Hamilton reminded everyone to sign in on the HNA meeting roster so that they can vote at the June meeting. The next HNA meeting will be Wednesday, June 3, 7:00 p.m. at St. Barnabas. Motion to adjourn, seconded, all in favor.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: