Hillsdale Neighborhood Association
Meeting October 4, 2017
Call to order 7:04 p.m.
Attendees introduced themselves, and discussed Halloween costumes past and present.
Eric opened with agenda review, and agreement to swap the order of presentations was the only change.
Keturah moved, Sheila seconded that Minutes of the prior meeting be approved as written.
Rick delivered Treasurers report indicating there had been no change in HNA account.
Leslie asked if updated board roster is on line. Rick confirmed that it will be on website.
Eric led discussion of Barbur Demonstration Project, what had been planned, and what never got funded. He described current status of some of the problem areas where investments had been called for.
In some cases low-cost approaches have been taken (i.e. adding paint to enhance safety of movement for bikes and pedestrians). Since the process has been ongoing over time, many standards have changed, and improvements will necessarily have to be different than original planned. Potential of SW Corridor development complicates decisions on some of the strategies, since alignment is not settled, and we don’t want to invest in projects that might get torn up.
Rick moved, and Leann seconded the proposal that HNA endorse the four proposed projects, but also that we provide a letter mentioning additional projects which the neighborhood would like to see prioritized on Custer and Capitol Hill Roads (Rick or Don will draft and submit the letter with these details).
Gary Fallou provided an update on the Golden Touch redevelopment, and the continued desire to vacate Falcon Street. The overall development project (land and construction) will run nearly $100 million, and includes a mix or residential and commercial (including anchor, Natural Grocery). Plan for 248 units, size will vary, but many will be 1-bedroom rentals (estimated rents $1,650) which are in high demand in the market area. Well established general contractors will be bidding on the project, which is being designed by McKenzie Group. Site is being designed to accommodate transit, bike lane. Negotiations took place with Comcast who determined they would not be relocating or upgrading their hub on this site, so development will work around them. They hope to break ground by spring 2018.
With light rail potentially opening in 2025, this project will contribute to concept of Barbur as a Boulevard—a place people can congregate and work, adding vibrancy, commerce.
Don moved, Rick seconded, unanimous reaffirmation of support for the vacation of Falcon Street.
Eric talked about Block Party program that PBOT guides. If by residents, no more than 4 block area can be closed. For “events,” can be larger site. Fees are low, city has tried to make process easy. Barricades would be under $100 for 4 blocks. Similar to what PBOT does for Sunday parkways. Requires flashing lights if after dark. Notification process would be door hangers on streets closed.
Proposal and goal: Halloween activity to make trick or treating safer in Hillsdale neighborhood, especially Wilson Park neighborhood with high density of young children—to make a car-free zone from Bertha to 12th on Chestnut, from 6-10 pm. Would require volunteers. Historically there is a lot of Halloween activity in that area, and fairly flat streets.
There were many questions about whether HNA or immediate neighbors should sponsor this type of activity, and what risks would be presented, as local access is still allowed through barricades (by cars). Questions about SWNI Insurance were discussed.
Many felt that there should be longer discussion about location, goals, logistics, and this should be considered next year. Many were willing to volunteer to help neighbors handle this if they decided to proceed this year, and it was not an HNA event.
There was interest in creating materials that would make it easier for neighbors to understand how to host this sort of activity. Agreed HNA would not sponsor this year.
Barbara delivered Outreach Committee report and shared guidelines on speaker development. Leslie has speaker for November. Adam will share tips on neighborhood snow and ice removal and activities in October. Still working on getting ONI director and/or Chloe Eudaly and/or Dan Saltzman to reflect on the role of NAs, and what changes might be contemplated. Barbara and Rick have been working to migrate to website SWNI sponsors, and will provide opportunities for Board and interested parties to comment on future direction.
Transportation: Eric described additional work on Southwest in Motion (SWIM). He would like help in identifying stakeholders: apartment complexes, businesses, residents, anyone interested in active transportation and transit…if there’s someone you think should be involved, let Eric know. He shared some information on Portland Livable Streets Plan. If anyone knows students interested in careers in this arena, there are scholarships available through the Portland Chapter of Women in Transportation.
A brief SWNI Board update was provided, discussion related to Portland Water quality and next steps, awaiting Council approval in 2018.
Reminders: Community Policing Appreciation Dinner Oct 26, 6:30; donations of winter clothes for homeless appreciated. 10am this Friday Rieke soccer field dedication.
Decision: Rick will chair HNA meeting in November.
Arnie moved, Leslie seconded, unanimous decision to adjourn at 8:45 pm.